Bracken magazine is looking for a Fiction Editor and a Fiction Reader. We are also looking for a Website Manager. Website Manager can be a separate position or can be combined with the editor or reader role.
Bracken is an online fiction, poetry, and art magazine inspired by old-world storytelling. We embrace both the literary and the fantastic. To get a better idea about what we are, browse our issues.
We initially set out to be a quarterly magazine, but we’ve struggled to keep up this pace, and have realized we need more staff. Hence this call for interested participants.
These are unpaid positions. None of us is making any money on this labor of love. You will get valuable experience working with our Editor-in-Chief (Alina Rios).
Bracken receives on average about 300 fiction submissions per issue.
For the Fiction Reader, the tasks would be:
- Read all the fiction submissions.
- Select the submissions that adhere to Bracken’s aesthetic, and pass those to the Fiction Editor.
For the Fiction Editor, the tasks would be:
- Read the fiction submissions selected by the Fiction Reader.
- Select pieces for prospective publication and pass them to the Editor-in-Chief.
- Together with the Editor-in-Chief, propose edits to selected pieces and communicate with the writer in this regard.
For the Website Manager, the tasks would be:
- Create all the pages for each new issue.
- Create a table of contents and update navigation for each new issue.
- Create the cover using Bracken font and the provided cover image.
- Consider and propose refinements to the overall look of the magazine.
- If you are interested, solicit featured and cover artwork for new issues.
Email Alina Rios (alinka29ATgmailDOTcom) with your resume and cover letter.
You can be located anywhere in the world (or in another world), as long as you have email. We will conduct interviews over Skype.